You have no items in your shopping cart.
Rustic Basswood Fireplace Mantel Shelf
The Rustic Basswood Fireplace Mantel Shelf comes from the (Basswood, American Linden Tree) This name originates from the inner fibrous bark of the tree, known as bast. It is a popular wood for model building and intricate carving.
- Light in weight and light in color, the Basswood makes a unique fireplace mantel shelf
- Width of the mantel will vary depending on the size of the log you choose.
- Rustic mantel sold in lengths by the foot.
- Styles Available: Natural, Bark, Square, Draw Knife, and Carved face.
- No mounting hardware is included with your mantel. (see Installation tab)
- Main photo show in bark face style.
- Certain length mantels require additional freight
Have more questions about rustic mantels? Want to know what kinds of rustic mantels there are? Check out our Definitive Guide to Rustic Mantels
Natural Face - On some logs the bark of the tree comes off during the sawing and drying process. The exposed bare edges will show the shape of the log along with knots and character marks. These mantels are the best value because no extra labor is required to prepare the mantel for sale.
Bark Face- Occasionally the bark adheres quite well to the mantel piece through the manufacturing process. These offer the most rustic look available. The bark cannot be guaranteed to stay on indefinitely without some tacks or glue, but customers who have installed these mantels for the past ten years report very few problems. Bark face mantels are more difficult to find than the other styles, so the inventory may have fewer of them available.
Square Face- This style combines the look of a solid wood mantel with a more traditional flat face.The face will show the same grain patterns that are seen on the top and bottom of the mantel.
Draw Knife Face- If the face of a mantel is damaged in the manufacturing process we can sometimes smooth out the wood with a draw knife. The grain will normally show as in a Square Face mantel, but the mantel will retain the log edge look. The ends of a Draw Knife mantel will stay square.
Carved Face - The front face and ends of these mantels are molded and shaped with carving tools to add depth and character to the final product. This carving will accentuate knots in the mantel face. Cracks that may develop in the drying process will also be softened.
The method of installation will vary with the individual situation, and your personal preference. Here are some of the approaches that have succeeded for customers:
- New Fireplaces: If you install the mantel before the brick or stone face is put on the fireplace, the mantel can often be mounted with hidden lags or support boards. It may also be possible to use construction cement if a masonry shelf is built in the fireplace. The brick or stone can then be put on around the mantel. You may also use some of our wooden mounting brackets shown on the "options" link.
- Existing Fireplaces: One of the most common installation techniques for an existing masonry fireplace is to drill holes in the mortar joints where the mantel will be installed. Metal pipes or rods about 1" in diameter can then be installed in these holes with anchors or pressure cement. Drill the mantel to line up with the pipes and slide the mantel on. Construction cement or a small corner bracket can be used to prevent the mantel from vibrating off. If the stone face of your fireplace is irregular the back edge of the mantel should be scribed to fit the stone. Again please see the "options" link for wooden mounting brackets that may be useful on an existing fireplace installation.
- Rustic Basewood Fireplace Mantel Review by TOMS CORNER.....Staff
- TOMS CORNER....Hey, thanks for reviewing the Rustic Basswood Fireplace Mantel. Although this mantel is made in the same styles as the other Rustic Fireplace Shelves, it is very popular due to the fiber of the wood. Very strong but easy to work with if you need any modifications. It is made in lengths from 4' - 8' at additional cost each foot. You can order the log finish you desire. Should you have any questions, please call us at 800-897-7175 and our reps will assist you. Thanks................Tom (Posted on 8/4/2014)