You have no items in your shopping cart.
3.0 Good 1 Review(s)
Walnut Fireplace Mantel Shelf
Natural walnut wood makes a beautiful rustic style fireplace mantel. Walnut is harder and heavier than many other species of wood, which makes it strong and durable.
- Walnut is a dark brown heavy wood popular for use in cabinets and furniture.
- Width of the mantel will vary depending on the size of the log you choose. Since the walnut wood is natural, width sizes will vary.
- Choose from 4 Face styles: Natural Face, Square Face, Draw Knife face, and Carved face.
- No mounting hardware is included with your mantel. (see Installation tab)
- Walnut wood works well for mantels because of its stability.
- Main photo shown in Natural Face
- Walnut makes a wise choice for fireplace mantel shelves since it’s strong and durable.
Have more questions about rustic mantels? Want to know what kinds of rustic mantels there are? Check out our Definitive Guide to Rustic Mantels
This affordable and natural rustic walnut mantel shelf is handmade and unique. Walnut wood is harder and heavier than the other wood species offered for fireplace mantels and shelves, but walnut is a good choice for a mantel due to its stability.
MANTEL FACE - STYLES
These woods are quite stable while drying, which means they will have less cracking, shrinking and twisting than other species.
STYLES - This refers to the front surface of the mantel which faces the room and is most visible.
Natural Face - On some logs the bark of the tree comes off during the sawing and drying process. The exposed bare edges will show the shape of the log along with knots and character marks. These mantels are the best value because no extra labor is required to prepare the mantel for sale.
Square Face- This style combines the look of a solid wood mantel with a more traditional flat face.The face will show the same grain patterns that are seen on the top and bottom of the mantel.
Draw Knife Face- If the face of a mantel is damaged in the manufacturing process we can sometimes smooth out the wood with a draw knife. The grain will normally show as in a Square Face mantel, but the mantel will retain the log edge look. The ends of a Draw Knife mantel will stay square.
Carved Face - The front face and ends of these mantels are molded and shaped with carving tools to add depth and character to the final product. This carving will accentuate knots in the mantel face. Cracks that may develop in the drying process will also be softened.
Instructions follow for several of the approaches. Mounting hardware depends on the installation method you use and is commonly available at local home centers. No mounting hardware is included with your mantel.
The method of installation will vary with the individual situation, and your personal preference. Here is what havs succeeded for customers:
- New Fireplaces: If you install the mantel before the brick or stone face is put on the fireplace, the mantel can often be mounted with hidden lags or support boards. It may also be possible to use construction cement if a masonry shelf is built in the fireplace. The brick or stone can then be put on around the mantel. You may also use some of our wooden mounting brackets shown on the "options" link.
- Existing Fireplaces: One of the most common installation techniques for an existing masonry fireplace is to drill holes in the mortar joints where the mantel will be installed. Metal pipes or rods about 1" in diameter can then be installed in these holes with anchors or pressure cement. Drill the mantel to line up with the pipes and slide the mantel on. Construction cement or a small corner bracket can be used to prevent the mantel from vibrating off. If the stone face of your fireplace is irregular the back edge of the mantel should be scribed to fit the stone. Again please see the "options" link for wooden mounting brackets that may be useful on an existing fireplace installation.
- Walnut Fireplace Mantel Review by TOMS CORNER.....Staff
- TOMS CORNER.......Hey.........thanks for reviewing the Walnut Fireplace Mantel. We dont sell as many of these as we should. With names like, Carved face, Draw knife, Natural and Square it takes you back to Frontier living. These are beautiful mantels, depending upon the finish applied it gives a furniture look. So take your room with the fireplace in it and apply your creative ideas. You will be glad you did. Of course if you have any questions, dont hesitate to call us a 800-897-7175 and our reps will be glad to assist you. Thanks....................Tom
(Posted on 8/4/2014)